Late 17th- to 19th-century burial and earlier occupation at All Saints, Chelsea old church, Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
Excavations at 2–4 Old Church Street revealed prehistoric activity, a Roman rural settlement, and medieval gardens and domestic occupation associated with a medieval manor house, although most of the evidence for settlement related to the post-medieval period, when Chelsea changed from a village to a riverside resort and finally a suburb. A churchyard occupied the southern half of the site; here were recovered the skeletons of 290 parishioners buried between c 1700 and the mid 19th century, including two members of the Hand family who ran the Chelsea Bun House. The report considers various aspects of the cemetery, including its layout, and analysis of 198 skeletons provides demographic data for comparison with other London cemeteries and information on the health of this community.
Authors: Robert Cowie, Tania Kausmally, Jelena Bekvalac
CHY96, OCR97, OCR97, OCU00
See a map of these sites
Series: Archaeology Studies Series 18
Published by: MoLAS 2008. ISBN 978-1-901992-73-1. Pb69pp. 49 bl/wh and col ills.
Currently in print & available for order. Find this item in an academic library (COPAC) or Find this item in a library near you (WorldCat).