Excavations at the priory of the Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, Clerkenwell, London
The Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem was formed to support pilgrimages to Jerusalem and run a great hospital there. A house of the Order was founded in Clerkenwell in 1144. It became the Order's only priory in England, and its headquarters here. Archaeology shows that the religious house evolved into a sumptuous palatial complex very different from a normal monastic institution. This volume looks at the priory sequence, including the round-naved church, cemetery, Great Hall, gatehouse, and an outer precinct housing financial officials. Thematic chapters consider the foundation, architecture, living standards and Dissolution of the priory.
Authors: Barney Sloane, Gordon Malcolm
ABP94, ALB89, ASS90, AYB95, BAD89, BIT91, BRI86, BSI93, CLRG78, COW89, GIN90, GPC00, JAN90, JER83, JON89, JON89, KEE90, LDO95, SJG95, SJL90, SJS86, SJT96, TCR96
See a map of these sites
Series: Monograph Series 20
Published by: MoLAS, London 2004. ISBN 1-901992-20-9. Pb434pp. 202 bl/wh and col ills.
Currently in print & available for order. Find this item in an academic library (COPAC) or Find this item in a library near you (WorldCat).